Baby Steps: My First Run Back!

A few weeks ago, I posted about a climbing injury. At the time, my doctor told me that I had torn my meniscus, meaning that both running and climbing were off the table for the foreseeable future. However, after two weeks on crutches, my doctor ordered an MRI and discovered that my meniscus was not the issue! I had a deep bone bruise (which, as he explained, is basically like breaking the inside of your bone).

Although it was still a pain have to sit on the sidelines for a month, it was ultimately good news. Bone bruises heal on their own, so that meant no surgery. It also meant no physical therapy, so I didn't have a whole lot to share on here. Time is the only cure for bone bruises! He told me that I'd have to use my best judgement and go back to running when it didn't hurt anymore.

So, a little over 4 weeks post-injury, I decided to test the waters and see how my knee held up on a short jog.

Running shoes laced up and ready to go!

I decided to start off with a simple 2-mile loop. That gave me plenty of time to warm up while still allowing a bit of wiggle room if I felt like running more than a mile. I opted for a route that skipped over some of my usual hills, since I wasn't entirely sure if inclines or descents would have much impact.

All things considered, it went pretty well. I ran much, much more slowly than normal, mainly because I was being cautious (and was a bit out of running shape). My knee certainly didn't feel normal, but it also didn't exactly hurt. I'm not sure how much of that was in my head and how much was reality! The downhill parts seemed to hurt more than the uphill segments (which, in hindsight, makes sense since you come down harder on your legs on downhills).

Still, despite the odd sensations in my knee, it felt so great to get back out there! I wanted to run farther and wake up the next morning for another run...but I talked myself out of it. The last thing I need is a setback!


It feels good knowing that I'll be back to my regular runs soon...and I can't wait to share them with you! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Berkeley Half Marathon

Half Marathon #4 in the Books

Bay to Breakers: A Quintessentially San Francisco Race