Sephora's Coming for Birchbox...

While shopping with my family last weekend, I popped quickly into Sephora to stock up on some basics. However, I ended up getting totally distracted by a new feature in their store: a build your own sample kit section. My first thought was that they were very clearly going after Birchbox (which makes sense, especially with Birchbox's Gap partnership bringing their offerings into more physical stores).

Naturally, I gave it a shot!


The premise is simple enough: grab the colorful, plastic cosmetics bag and load it up with five samples from the designated area. Although the price tag ($25) is a bit higher than Birchbox's in-store, build-your-own offering ($15), you have no limitations on what you're allowed to purchase (no forced perfume samples...yay!) and you also get a decent bag that you can reuse. I also feel like Sephora's samples offer quite a lot more bang for your buck. The ones I chose were significantly larger than what I typically receive in my Birchbox.

That said, there is one pretty major caveat: all of the samples were skincare. That was totally fine by me because I've been investing a lot more in skincare lately, but for those of you who use subscription boxes to find new, fun makeup, this won't be of much use! My gut instinct would say that they're going for a slightly older demographic than Birchbox, as well, based off of the products they're offering.

In my Sephora Skincare Set... 
Algenist Ultimate Anti-Aging Melting Cleanser
Caudalie Vinoperfect Night Cream
Ole Henriksen Truth Serum Collagen Booster
Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser
First Aid Beauty Skin Rescue Deep Cleanser


These are pretty much all products that I've heard good things about, so I'm looking forward to giving them a try! I already use the Ole Henriksen Truth Serum and absolutely love it (it's the only product I've ever used that actually worked on my dark spots...and it smells amazing!). My aunt also got a skincare sample kit for herself and included two of these samples in it because I was raving about it so much!

When I went to check out, I also opted to get a few samples with my Beauty Insider points: another Ole Henriksen product (Sheer Transformation face cream) and Origins Night-A-Mins night cream. They threw in a Givenchy sample to top it off :)


Has anyone else given Sephora's skincare sample kits a shot yet? What do you think about them?


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The San Francisco 1st Half Marathon

Berkeley Half Marathon

Bay to Breakers: A Quintessentially San Francisco Race